Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Life and The Prisoner of Azkaban

As so often is the case, life happens. It does not care that you wanted to get more sleep, nor that you wanted to read one Harry Potter book a day. Life tends to be the thing that happens while you are making other plans, as John Lennon so wisely said. Hence, I did not finish The Prisoner of Azkaban when I thought I would.



I find that being employed takes up a lot of my time. I do a lot of running around. Not that I'm complaining. Jobs are good. :)



Additionally, I had to take a brief hour reprieve to watch the season finale of Glee.



In other news, Harry Potter.



***


Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban:


This book is undoubtedly one of my favorite Harry Potter books. It's the calm before the storm. It's the last book before all hell breaks loose. But not only that there's Sirius Black and Remus Lupin. Mad love.


Okay. I am a big fan of the Marauders. They are severely romanticized in my brain. Maybe it's from too much fan fiction (WHAT?) but I always imagine them as so clever and dashing, which they were. At least according to Rowling.


But anyway, Sirius. I love Sirius Black. Besides having one of the coolest names in literature he is just an interesting character. He's so smart and so troubled and he only wants to help. In Book Three Black is just a shadowy figure bent on revenge. My favorite chapter is the one toward the end when everyone sorts out what really happened the night the Potters died. I was always rooting for Sirius after that. I mean, he meant well. He really did.


I'm also impressed by the way he put up with Azkaban. Dementors scare the living hell out of me. They are one of the most horrifying literary, mythical, you name it creatures I have ever heard of. I sort of find them synonymous with Ring Wraiths, though they are completely different. I think it's the whole being soulless, billowing robes thing that I find so similar. Nonetheless they frighten me and I hate them.


Though, I am quite fond of the Patronus Charm. Quite groovy. I think my Patronus would be a cat of some kind. I'd like to say a LION or a TIGER or some other BIG CAT. But it'd probably be a house cat. My Precious is the most adorable kitten in the world. I love her.


Speaking of cats, Crookshanks is hella awesome. He helped Sirius all year. I love how some of the cleverest witches and wizards couldn't understand Sirius's dilemma but it took a cat only a few days. Clever Crookshanks.



Next, Remus Lupin. Oh Lupin. Ilovehim. He is just THE BEST! He really is, out of all seven books, my favorite Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. He was the only one who actually cared about the students and got the job done. Lupin's kind and helpful. I love Remus Lupin. Can't say it enough. Plus he and Sirius really lucked out in the incredibly awesome names department.


I may have slight fangirl literary crushes on Sirius Black and Remus Lupin. So sue me.


Lupin also brings me back to the Whomping Willow. That tree is just positively fascinating. I mean it causes a lot of problems for our heroes, i.e. nearly killing them and destroying things like coveted broomsticks. But it's just interesting. I guess this is a good time to mention that one o my favorite wiz wrock bands is the Whomping Willows. (House of Awesome FTW!) And it's all because of Lupin's curious little problem that such a tree even exists. A tree that hits back. Lovely.


***


Hermione is a complete and utter badass in Book Three which makes me far too happy. I love that she slaps Draco. Definitely a highlight of the entire series. He completely deserves it. I love that she walks out of Divination. Trelawney is such a crook. Two actual predictions in a full life, neither of which she actually remembers. I do have to say, her prediction about Pettigrew at the end of Prisoner frightens me every time. It's just so creepy. Maybe it's the movie's influence that makes it worse but nonetheless.


Finally, Hermione travels through time ALL YEAR. Man, I would love a time turner. There really is never enough hours in the day. Think of all the things you could DO. I would go back and read freaking EVERYTHING. Then after that I'd go out with my friends. Then I could do everything I wanted simultaneously. It would be so awesome. I have a time turner. One of the Warner Bros ones modeled after the movie. It is BEAUTIFUL.


***


Finally, I'd just like to discuss Quidditch. I attend one of the awesome schools that actually has a real live Quidditch team so the sport has a special place in my heart not just because its awesome in HP but because it's awesome in my actual life. You think it's dangerous in the book? You should see two chasers grappling over a soccer ball... It's incredibly alarming.


Mostly I want to discuss the Firebolt. What a broom. Brooms are like cars. The sleeker, the shinier, the faster - the better. Gryffindor winning the Quidditch Cup makes me happy for several reasons. 1. Oliver Wood. He just wanted it so bad. I love that Jo gives it to him. 2. Beating Slytherin/Malfoy. Draco's a git. He deserves nothing awesome. 3. Lee Jordan's commentary. I looked forward to all Quidditch commentary. I was really sad after he left. 4. McGonagall not telling off Jordan for calling Malfoy a curse. I can see her jumping up and down every time. It makes me smile.


This last thing about Quidditch is not in the match for the cup. It's the Ravenclaw game. Harry v Cho Chang. (More about Cho Chang later) Oliver Wood: "HARRY, THIS IS NO TIME TO BE A GENTLEMAN! KNOCK HER OFF HER BROOM IF YOU HAVE TO."


And that, my friends, is the essence of awesome.


See you at the Triwizard Tournament.

No comments:

Post a Comment